Once upon a time, I wasn’t feeling very good about myself. I had let someone talk me into doing something I didn’t want to do that day, so I felt like shit. The person who had talked me into it, then had the audacity to take me to a “Party” to celebrate my new status.
So now, I let some different people talk me into taking a large dose of over the counter cough medicine. They said I would have a “trip”. I was a very small person then. I only weighed about 100 lbs. The amount that the other people recommended was a full four ounces. I knew at two ounces that I had had enough, but the others kept pushing me to finish the bottle. Maybe for them, weighing closer to a couple of hundred pounds, four ounces was needed to have their “Trip”, but not for me. Even so…
I finally finished the bottle at their constant urging, and immediately regretted it. I threw up a total of 7 times in the next 15 minutes. Probably a good thing I did, as I spent the next 8 hours afraid to go to sleep, for fear that I would stop breathing if I went to sleep. The room and the other people in it became still scenes from a photo album. With each beat of my heart, I got a snap shot, but in between there was only blackness. In the morning, when the others had awoken from their sleep, I told them of my experience. They said I had a bad trip.
These were the same people who, after I had taken the four ounces, and finally finished throwing up, then proceeded to tell me that several of their “friends” had committed suicide, because of the long term affects of over dosing on this over the counter drug. What kind of “Friends” would keep doing this same thing, then, and not only that, but would encourage others to do it as well.
With friends like these, who needs enemies.
I hadn’t been having a “Bad Trip.” I had been poisoned and barely survived the experience.
It was Stupid. Never again would I let someone talk me into doing any kind of drug without there being a medically valid reason for it, and at the proper dosage.
There is a reason it’s called “Dope”.
I responded to an invitation on Twisteens’ blog to describe a time I nearly died with a portion of this, and decided it was worth re-telling in my own post. Thank you ziiAn for telling us of your brush with a painful accidental electrocution and nearly dying from it.
© Ellen M Story and emariaenterprises, 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Ellen M Story and emariaenterprises with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.